It can stop you dead in your tracks. It’s that awful state of mind where you’re looking at all of the things on your “to do” list, and you really do feel that you just don’t know where to start – so you don’t!!
So how do you overcome the overwhelm?
This 3 step strategy will help to get you unblocked and making progress.
1. Get crystal clear on what it is you are trying to achieve.
- Why did you start your business in the first place?
- What is your vision for your business?
- What exactly is your objective or Goal for your business?
- Where exactly do you want to get to in the next 6 or 12 months?
This is, I believe, the critical step that most people omit. They dive straight into taking action, without giving sufficient thought as to exactly how their vision will look, and what is involved in getting to it, so they have no strategy for achieving it!
It’s very easy for business owners to get so busy doing “stuff”, that they can often forget why they are doing all of the tasks they are spending their time on, and lose sight of the bigger picture – the reason for being of their business.
Setting out a clearly defined goal for what you are trying to achieve will show you what needs to be in place, what needs to happen and what actions you need to take, so that you can create an effective strategy, which when implemented, will ensure you achieve your vision.Don’t let Overwhelm stop you in your tracks! Click To Tweet
2. Set Benchmarks to achieve your Goal
Benchmarks are key progress points towards your Goal, the achievement of which will automatically result in the achievement of your goal. They are the building blocks which, when you put one on top of the other, will create the bigger goal.
It is much easier to stay focused and motivated on achieving smaller benchmarks, than it is on a bigger, longer term goal.
When you create monthly benchmarks for your business goal, you will see with much more clarity what needs to be done, by when. You can then focus in on your first benchmark rather than becoming overwhelmed by the big picture.
Instead of feeling frustrated about your lack of progress, you can now create a detailed plan of action to get the results you want.
3. Review your “To Do” List
Now that you know what your first benchmark is, you can look at your to do list differently, considering each of the following 3 questions, as they apply to each task:
- Will this task move me closer to achieving my first benchmark and my goal? If not, why is it on your list, and does it really need to be done at all?
- Am I really the only person who could do this task? If you’re not particularly good at it, or don’t like doing it, you will put it off and it will take up more of your time than it deserves. Could you outsource it to a good VA?
- Does this task need to be done now? There are a set number of hours in every day for everyone, and it’s important that you focus your time and energy first on the tasks which will help you to achieve your goals. Tasks which don’t – can wait until the important ones are done.
So there you have it, a simple strategy which will show you where you need go start, give you a clear path to follow, and banish the dreaded Overwhelm.
Join Us in The Coaches’ Zone Facebook Group and get the support you need to help you to get clear about the important stuff, and the steps you really need to be taking